PhD/Post Doc (Boerhaave foundation)

FAQ for current Boerhaave tenants.

What do I need to do, when moving in at Boerhaave housing?

Housing permit
During check in, you will sign a form to request a housing permit from the Municipality of Leiden. It is common practice in the Netherlands that municipalities need to grant you permission to live in less expensive housing. The housing permit is meant to create a fair division of the scarcely available housing. The housing permit costs € 32,15 and you will receive an invoice from the municipality in the first months of your stay at your new address.

Registration at Town Hall
After you have checked in you have to register at Leiden Municipality. Do not forget to bring your ID, residence permit and housing contract to the Town Hall. If you move from another address in Leiden, you also need to register for the new address (

Gas, heating, water and electricty
You need to contact your own supplier. There are several companies you can choose to get gas and electricty, e.g. Eneco (, Greenchoice (, Nuon ( You can compare energy providers at e.g. Online Energie Vergelijker.

You need to get a contract for water supply, please contact Dunea ( Please make sure you read your meters when moving in, before contacting a supplier. Make sure you keep these meter readings (you might asked for them later).

If you live at Boerhaavelaan or Van Swietenstraat, you pay an advance payment for heating. ISTA company ( arranges this for you. You do not need to report the readings to anyone. Please read the meters on your heaters when moving in and make sure you keep these meter readings (you might asked for them later).

Internet, telephone and television
You need to contact your own internet provider. There are several companies you can contact, such as KPN, TelfortVodafone, XS4ALL, Ziggo, Simyo.

All apartments are unfurnished and unfurbished, so you need to take care of your own furnishing. Sometimes, you can make arrangements with the departing tenant about taking over furniture. When you do, please request a necessary form at the housing office by sending an email to

Do not forget to get a fire and theft insurance. You can contact several insurance companies, such as Centraal Beheer (, FBTO (, Interpolis (, OHRA (, Univé (, Hema (, Nederlanden van Nu (

How can I pay my rent and service costs?

Your rent can be paid to the financial administration of the Boerhaave Foundation. If you wish to transfer the money, please make sure you transfer the money to bank account NL16INGB0000684940. The name of the bank account holder is Ons Doel, Leiden. An automatic withdrawal is preferred. During your check in, you can sign an automatic withdrawal card. Every 1st day of the month, the monthly rent fee, including service costs and (if applicable) an advanced payment for heating will be withdrawn from your bank account.

Who do I contact if I have a problem concerning my apartment or house?

Dankmeijerpad/Van Rijsselpad/Verhaartpad

Please log into your account at the website from DUWO and either fill out the repair request form, or give DUWO a call.

Boerhaavelaan/Van Swietenstraat/Mariënpoelstraat/Haarlemmerstraat

Mr. Leen Bolle (service and maintenance officer at Bouwbedrijf Huurman Leiden B.V.) is available for all tenants at the Boerhaave complex for technical assistance and emergency repairs.

Boerhaave building (at the back side of the large flat at Boerhaavelaan 188 – 286)

Open office hours:
Wednesday from 16.30 until 18.00 hrs
Friday from 08.00 until 10.00 hrs.

Mr. Leen Bolle

Mr. Leen Bolle

Boerhaave caretaker

Boerhaave caretaker

Please report complaints and/or repair requests by email, mentioning your address and telephone number to . If you are unable to email your repair requests, you can also call at 071 – 576 9341.

Only in case of an emergency, you can call Mr. Bolle directly by Telephone at 06 – 1203 1874.

In case of an emergency outside open office hours (16.30 – 08.00 hrs) and during weekends, please report calamities to the Emergency Service Centre at 0229 283 319.


Directions to caretaker's office

Directions to caretaker's office

How do I use the geyser?

Please note while using the geyser, especially when you take a shower, you have to ventilate the room where the geyser is situated. This is very important, otherwise the geyser will stop because of its safety mechanism. Ventilate all rooms regularly to prevent e.g. the growing of mould.

How can I end my contract?

The termination of tenancy always needs to be submitted in writing and by regular post (not by email) with at least one months’ notice to Leiden University’s Housing Office. After the receipt of your termination of tenancy, Bouwbedrijf Huurman Leiden BV will contact you as soon as possible to make an appointment to inspect the accommodation. The second and final inspection is obligatory and takes place on your planned moving date (provided it is a working day) at 10 hrs. The end inspection can only occur on a weekday (not during the weekend). During the end inspection, your apartment has to be completely empty and cleaned. At the end of the end inspection with the caretaker, you need to hand in your key.

Can I apply for moving to another apartment?

Yes, you can. Apartments and houses at Boerhaavelaan vary in size, so if you wish to move to an apartment with a different size, this is possible depending on availability. The larger apartments at the Boerhaave complex are specifically made available for families. Send your request by filling out our contact form, and clearly state what kind of apartment you wish to move to. Please be informed that moving is allowed only when all rental fees and service costs have been paid in time and when you belong to the criteria of being a PhD student or post doc researcher at Leiden University or the LUMC with a family.

How do I check out at the end of my stay?

Make sure you hand in your keys to the caretaker during the final inspection of your apartment. Please do not give the keys to the next tenant without permission from the Boerhaave Foundation.

Please make sure you leave the apartment empty and clean. If you have made arrangements with the new tenant to leave furniture for him/her, do not forget to inform Leiden University’s Housing Office by filling out our contact form. Otherwise all items will be removed and you will receive a penalty fee.

Make sure you end all your contracts for gas, water, electricity, internet, telephone, television and insurance before leaving the apartment. Bear in mind that for most contracts you have 1 month’s notice (or more).

Make sure you have paid all your rent until the end date of the contract. The financial administration of the Boerhaave Foundation (Ons Doel) will provide you with a final overview of payments after you have moved out, since the use of heating needs to be calculated on the end date of the contract and this needs to be settled with the monthly advance payment for heating. Bear in mind that in winter season, you might have to pay for extra use of heating (since the monthly advance payment is an average based on annual use).  

After your room has been checked and everything is found to be in order and you request the refund of your deposit, please send the deposit refund form by filling out our contact form.
The deposit is used as collateral for all incurred costs and costs that are still to be determined for the apartment while you occupy the apartment. These costs are e.g. heating costs, service costs and other fees that are charged to the tenant.
The service costs are determined in the first six months after the end of the calendar year. This means that the costs over 2016 are determined and known before 1 July 2017. These underpaid costs will be deducted from the deposit and the remaining amount will be paid to a bank account specified by the tenant.
The information mentioned above is determined by law and is used for all tenants in The Netherlands. It is therefore possible that you receive a bill one year after your termination date.
We advise you to always inform the Housing Office about your active email address as well as an active bank account number until the above mentioned period and until everything has been settled.

How can I extend my contract?

As mentioned in the rental agreement under Special Conditions Point 10 Campus contract, your contract is linked to your appointment at Leiden University. The end date of your housing contract is 6 months after the end date of your PhD contract. When you are provided with an extension of your PhD contract, you are requested to forward the official letter from your Faculty’s Personnel Department to the Housing Office. It is not possible to extend your housing contract if you do not fulfil to the criteria (being a PhD student or post doc researcher) anymore.

What are the house rules at the Boerhaave complex (Boerhaavelaan and Van Swietenstraat)?

Notification regarding repair and technical maintenance
You can file a technical complaint and/or make an appointment for repair work by contacting Huurman Leiden, telephone number 071-576 9341 or e-mail to
Please always state your address and telephone number in your e-mail in order for them to be able to get in touch with you. For emergencies outside business hours please call the emergency service centre, telephone number 0229-283 319 . When you call the emergency number make sure to state that the notification is regarding the housing complex  of the Boerhaave Foundation.

Heating meters
When the radiators of your flat are equipped with heating meters, an advance payment for the heating costs is paid by you each month in addition to the rent. In May/June of each year, and in the case of the termination of the rental contract, the meter readings will be registered by ISTA. After the Boerhaave foundation has received the statements regarding the meter registrations from ISTA, the information will be sent to the tenants by Mrs. Keisers of the Boerhaave foundation financial administration.

Cost of maintenance/service costs
Each year you will receive an overview and billing statement for the cost of maintenance/service costs.

Domestic waste
Please take care of your environment, keep the area around your residence neat and clean. This way everyone can enjoy living in the building. Please do not dispose of garbage bags or other waste in the public areas such as hallways, stairs, storage spaces and corridors. This is not only because of hygienic reasons but also because this is prohibited by the fire department with regard to your safety and that of your fellow tenants.
Your domestic waste can be disposed of in the appointed waste containers that are provided for this reason.
If you need to dispose of home appliances or furniture that can be reused please call the recycling company ‘Kringloopbedrijf het Warenhuis’, 071-524 0060, This company will gladly take your old appliances and furniture of your hands.

For the collection of non-recycable bulky waste please contact the municipal service point ‘Servicepunt Woonomgeving Gemeente Leiden’: 071-516 5501,
Note: It is prohibited to put waste on or alongside refuse containers near your building or to dispose of it on the street/sidewalk. Persons violating this regulation can be punished with a fine.
Rental administration
Please make sure to inform the Housing Office when you are leaving Leiden for a long period. This will allow her to have up date information regarding tenants in case of emergencies or calamities.

Geyser/water heater 
The water heater/geyser is owned by the Boerhaave Foundation. It has to remain behind for the next tenant when you leave. Tenants are not allowed to sell the water heater/geyser or buy and/or install their own.
The water heaters/geysers will be checked each year by Huurman Leiden.

What are the house rules at Haarlemmerstraat?

Ground floor
Cycles and/or other means of transport may not be left outside the store rooms. Each apartment can store a maximum of two bikes inside the storage provisions. Any extra bikes must be parked outside at designated bike stalling places.
For safety reasons, both emergency exits of the Volkshuis, as well as the whole length of the corridor, should at all times be free of obstacles.
The corridor where the store rooms are located is only for the use of residents and as an escape route for the shops located on the ground floor.
The power sockets in the store rooms are included in the general service costs and are intended only for brief use for such purposes as a vacuum cleaner, etc.
The general access doors should always be kept locked because of the large numbers of members of the public passing through the Harlemmerstraat.
Roof-level walkway
The roof-level walkway serves as access to the apartments, as well as a terrace for the apartments on the first floor.  The access routes to the front doors of the apartments should avoid the use of the areas designated for use as terraces.
The floor covering of the roof-level walkways comprises concrete tiles on supports on top of a bitumen roof-covering. These tiles may not be removed and no objects may be wedged between the tiles.
The lighting in the hall, the storeroom corridor and the access to numbers 73c to 73e is on continuously. The other general lighting is connected to a dimmer switch which switches the light on at dusk and off at daylight.

Dividing walls/floors between apartments
The walls in the apartments along the stairwells are fitted with a sound-insulating layer.  These walls are made up of plasterboard on a sheet of pliable insulation. It is therefore not allowed to hang or fix anything on these walls, as this may damage the insulation layer. 

The floors have a concrete layer over insulation strips. The pipework for the central heating system and various other pipes is located in the floor.  For this reason, the sills of the doors are glued to the floor and it is strictly forbidden to use nails, tacks, etc. on the floor in order to avoid damage to the pipework.

All apartments are fitted with individual central heating and mechanical ventilation systems.  Operating instructions are also supplied which should be observed for optimal use.
A number of apartments have no light fitting in the plaster ceiling, but two electric sockets in the wall.  These are connected to the mains light supply.

All front doors of the apartments, the store room doors, the post boxes and the entrance door on the ground floor are fitted with a Neco lock system.  Extra keys can only be made for this system on presentation of the relevant certificates, which are in the possession of the Boerhaave Foundation; this will take several weeks and will incur relatively high costs.
All doors are fitted with door closers and therefore shut automatically. Fire regulations dictate that these doors may not be fixed open.
No hooks, nails, etc. may be fixed to the walls and ceilings of the public areas and store rooms. These will be removed and the costs will be charged to the relevant persons.
The piping space above the storage areas and under the roof-level walkway must be kept closed at all times, except for maintenance or inspection activities by the EWR.  It is expressly forbidden to store any items in this area.

Secondary double glazing
All apartments with the exception of nos. 732H and 73P are fitted with secondary double glazing for insulation.  This is necessary to meet the standards set for thermal insulation and noise-insulation. If you intend to remove any secondary double glazing panels, you should discuss this with the manager/warden so that the panel(s) can be removed and stored in a proper manner.

Historical features
Historical features, such as decorative plaster ceilings, marble fireplaces, stairs, etc. which are present in and around the apartments, must remain undamaged and unaltered.  These elements are covered by the Public Monuments Act 1988.

Last Modified: 31-10-2016